Eric Goode is one of New York’s most renowned hoteliers, so it may come as a surprise to some that he is also a dedicated turtle conservationist. Eric established the Turtle Conservancy (and Behler Chelonian Center), a non-profit NGO, in 2005 when he transformed his property in southern California into a tortoise and freshwater turtle conservation center. The center serves as an assurance colony for over 25 species of threatened and endangered species. With two-thirds of the world’s turtles and tortoises threatened with extinction, Eric made it his personal mission to do whatever he could to save the last remaining populations.
Until February 20th, Live Urban Walls will be projecting images of swimming turtles along with thought-provoking messages and images from other non-profit organizations like Charity : Water and Razia Said, at the corner of Bowery and Houston. For more videos, information, and how to submit a tax-deductible donation go to: www.turtleconservancy.org/support.
We were very proud to host the Bande des Quatres Collection II presentation on Friday, January 20th on the 2nd Floor Terrace. Bande des Quatres is a collaboration between designer Erin Wahed and her mom, Janis Kerman (a well-known Canadian jeweler), who hand-crafts each piece to order. The collection is available to purchase on the newly revamped website – check it out here.
Following the success of the presentation, we had an after-party hosted by Erin and the Bowery’s Laura Cooper Brown with a line up including DJs Class Actress, Austin Peters and Ethan Silverman of Terrible Records, and a live performance by BELL. A great night was had by all!
Over at the Bowery Hotel, we pride ourselves on our pampering skills. As cold season continues, we’re happy to share our tips and tricks for beating the snivels. Here are our staff’s selections of local places to get the things that instantly make you feel better:
1. Pajamas – first thing’s first. Get cozy! J. Crew and Uniqlo have our favorite selections of pajamas. The nearest stores are in SoHo.
2. Cashmere Socks – stop by The Sock Hop in Nolita and your tootsies will thank you!
3. Cold and Flu Soak – we love C.O. Bigelow products and use them in our rooms. The store is located in the West Village and is definitely worth a visit! Pick up their Cold and Flu Soak Herbal Formula No. 122 – it is the absolute best for opening your sinuses and soothing your aches and pains.
4. Oregano Oil – Avalon Chemist is just around the corner from us. Dilute a little of the oil in water and drink up. You’ll be amazed how quickly it takes effect!
5. Pressed Juices – The Killer from Liquiteria in the East Village is available in two strengths, X and XX, both with added Immunity Now.
6. Chicken Noodle Soup – Veselka Bowery is the newest outpost from the East Village stalwart which has been serving Ukrainian soulfood for over 50 years. They have a take-out service and the Chicken Noodle Soup is divine!
7. Movies – once you’re all bathed, fed and cozy, it’s time to get into bed and watch one of our complimentary DVDs. Take your pick from our classics, ranging from Apocalypse Now to Zelig!