Amongst all the wonderful sandwich shops, cafes and lunch spots in the East Village, we’re always grateful to have Porchetta within walking distance of the hotel. Chef Sara Jenkins and Matt Lindemulder opened their little shop in 2008 and it was an instant hit. Serving crispy, tasty sandwiches full of aromatic seasoning, Porchetta is entirely worth a wander to 7th Street for a unique bite of Italy in NYC. And if you want to take even more than the sandwich home with you, their salt seasoning is available for purchase!
Yesterday, celebrations were taking place in Chinatown to welcome in the Chinese New Year – the Year of the Dragon! In the spirit of the festivities, here is a video about one of our favorite spots in Chinatown… Nom Wah Tea Parlor on Doyers Street. Enjoy!
With a plethora of prohibition-style speakeasies in the city nowadays, it’s tricky to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. But there are few hidden bars that are always worth discovering…
PDT, for instance, is a modern classic. Standing for ‘Please Don’t Tell’, this cocktail bar is located in an unlikely spot – Crif Dogs on St. Marks Place. Once inside you have to step into a phone-booth and announce yourself to the hostess via telephone. The cocktails are to die for, as are the specialty hot dogs by New York super-chefs like Wylie Dufresne and David Chang. And a lovely feature is that there is no standing room; they only allow in the number of people who can actually get a seat. To be safe you can make a same day reservation or you can walk in but prepare to wait!
Over at the Bowery Hotel, we pride ourselves on our pampering skills. As cold season continues, we’re happy to share our tips and tricks for beating the snivels. Here are our staff’s selections of local places to get the things that instantly make you feel better:
1. Pajamas – first thing’s first. Get cozy! J. Crew and Uniqlo have our favorite selections of pajamas. The nearest stores are in SoHo.
2. Cashmere Socks – stop by The Sock Hop in Nolita and your tootsies will thank you!
3. Cold and Flu Soak – we love C.O. Bigelow products and use them in our rooms. The store is located in the West Village and is definitely worth a visit! Pick up their Cold and Flu Soak Herbal Formula No. 122 – it is the absolute best for opening your sinuses and soothing your aches and pains.
4. Oregano Oil – Avalon Chemist is just around the corner from us. Dilute a little of the oil in water and drink up. You’ll be amazed how quickly it takes effect!
5. Pressed Juices – The Killer from Liquiteria in the East Village is available in two strengths, X and XX, both with added Immunity Now.
6. Chicken Noodle Soup – Veselka Bowery is the newest outpost from the East Village stalwart which has been serving Ukrainian soulfood for over 50 years. They have a take-out service and the Chicken Noodle Soup is divine!
7. Movies – once you’re all bathed, fed and cozy, it’s time to get into bed and watch one of our complimentary DVDs. Take your pick from our classics, ranging from Apocalypse Now to Zelig!